About

The house and the hamlet

The house has been a hunting lodge for the now ruined castle on the hill behind it, as well as a coaching station on the road to Die. The buildings cluster round a courtyard where mules and horses were changed.

According to local history the house was also used as a school house (blots of ink of the floors in kitchen and one of the bedrooms), and was one of the few buildings to escape destruction n in World War 11. An old army boot was found in one of the many vaulted cellars. There is a date, 1734, above the window of the ‘sejour’ /kitchen and in the courtyard below is a huge bread oven which used to serve the whole village.

The hamlet which grew up below the castle was called Le Cheylard (an old work for chateau) and was destroyed in reprisal for Resistance activity during the war. Some buildings along the main road were re-built with reparations, (including the schoolhouse, which had been used as a resistance hospital) and the village re-named L’Escoulin. The houses directly below the castle have now been rebuilt by a Belgian sculptor, Jeff Claerout. He donated the sculpture of the faun for a village fountain in 2000 to commemorate his 30 years of residence and work.

There is an altar to the Goddess Anthar, protectrice of bears, in the village church, St.Pierre de La Sepie, which is perched on a hill looking down on the village.

The owner

Sue Fallon and her family have been restoring the house over many years. Sue has tried to keep the character of the house, particularly the ‘sejour’ as it was. However, the addition of the pool, two decked terraces and modern bathrooms and beds have brought the house and garden into the 21st century comfort zone.

Some visitors' tales

click here for tales

back to top